Competency Statements and Performance Measures for Club Coaches
The following performance measures will be required when assessing candidate coaches.
|Safety||Demonstrate safe firearms practices|
|Teach athletes to shoot in a safe manner||- Demonstrate correct range procedures and commands|
- Instruct athletes on firearm safety
- Assess and manage risks of coaching
- Act in accordance with the Coach Code of Conduct.
Demonstrate effective communication skills
|- Demonstrate effective communication, listening and questioning skills|
- Demonstrate inclusive strategies (gender, disability, age, skill level)
- Demonstrate communication skills involve parents, officials, and sports administrators
- Introduce athletes to the Athlete Pathway and provide appropriate support information.
Prepare and deliver coaching sessions for club athletes using a variety of presentation methods
|- Prepare and deliver a training session to teach or confirm skills for athletes at the club level, demonstrating a variety of skills including|
• Interactive approach
• Effective demonstration
• Effective questioning
- Include physical conditioning activities, stretching and physical preparation, in a training session (warm up and cool down), for a club level athlete.
- Cater for the social and physical development of the athlete.
Teach basic technical shooting skills
|- Teach correct and current technical shooting skills and techniques.|
- Provide a safe and positive learning environment. - - - Provide activities that are fun, inclusive and engaging for athletes.
Undertake an assessment of a club level athlete and provide feedback
|- Demonstrate an assessment of equipment for athletes including equipment that requires potential modification.|
- Demonstrate athlete performance assessment and the use of appropriate feedback to athletes.
- Identify correct fundamental elements of shooting technique and be able to recommend improvements to aid development.
Undertake a review of coaching sessions and modify future sessions based on feedback
|- Receive, discuss and respond to feedback on coaching performance from athletes and mentor coaches.|
- Be able to verbally explain how to modify a session based on feedback from an athlete or mentor coach.
|PRACTICAL ASSESSMENT||This will take place in conjunction with the Assessor/s, and usually at your home club.|
The assessment is simply to show you, the coach in action.